Bedford County is one of the fastest growing counties in Virginia. It is 764 square miles of Piedmont
Plateau in the Western Central portion of Virginia and is bordered by the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains to the west and the James River is on the northeast side and Smith Mountain Lake is on the south side. It has rolling, hilly terrain with elevations ranging from 800 to 4200 feet above sea level. Many people find Bedford County as a place where they can combine mountain views, good schools and quality hospital services and a easy commute to larger urban communities.
- Size of Area 764 square miles
- Population 60,371
- Median Age 40
- Median Home Value $245,000
- Medical Facilites: Bedford Memorial Hospital
- Education: Public 15 elementary schools, 3 middle schools, and the Bedford Science and Technology Center
- Recreation: Leesville Lake, Liberty Lake Park, golf, Smith Mountain Lake State Park, waterskiing, boating, hiking, biking, youth sports, campgrounds.