Fifteen Tips to Pack When Relocating
To Do List When Moving
- Develop a master "to do" list so you will not forget something critical.
- Sort and get rid of things you no longer want or need. Have a garage sale, donate to a charity or recycle.
- Do not throw out everything. if your inclination is just to toss it, ask yourself how frequently you use an item and how you would feel if you no longer had it.
- Pack like items together. Put toys with toys, kitchen utensils with kitchen utensils.
- Decide what if anything, you plan to move yourself. Precious items, such as family photos, valuable breakables, or must-haves during the move should probably stay with you.
- Use the right box for the item. Loose items encourage breakage.
- Put heavy items in small boxes so they are easier to lift. Keep weight under 50 pounds if possible.
- Do not over-pack boxes and increase the chances they will break.
- Wrap every fragile item separately and pad bottom and sides of boxes.
- Label every box on all sides. You never know how they will be stacked and you do not want to have to move other boxes aside to find out what is there.
- Use-color-coded labels to indicate which room each item should to in. Color-coded a floor plan for your new house to help movers.
- Keep your moving documents together, including phone numbers, driver's name and van number. Also keep your address book handy.
- Back up your computer files before moving your computer.
- Inspect each box and all furniture for damage as soon as it arrives.
- Remember, most movers will not take plants.