Select another area
Bedford County is one of the fastest growing counties in the Commonwealth of Virginia. It encompasses 764 square miles of Piedmont Plateau in the Western Central portion of Virginia and is bordered by the Blue Ridge Mountains to the west, the James River on its northeast and Smith Mountain Lake to the south. It has rolling, hilly terrain with elevations ranging from 800 to 4200 feet above sea level. A growing number of people see Bedford as a place where they can combine mountain views, good schools, quality hospital services and a relatively painless commute to the larger urban centers.
- Size of Area: 764 Square miles
- Population: 60,371
- Median Age: 40
- Median Home Value: $245,000
- Town Hall: 540-586-7601
- Medical Facilities: Bedford Memorial Hospital
- Education: Public 540-586-1045; 15 elementary schools, 3 middle schools, high schools, and teh Bedford Science and Technology Center; Private-Christian schools.
- Recreation: Leesville Lake, Liberty Lake Park, golf , Smith Mountain Lake State Park, water skiing, boating, hiking, biking, youth sports, campgrounds